Saturday, November 25, 2006

Writers are God's most pretentious creatures.

I remember, last year during NaNo, I blogged a ridiculous amount, often bemoaning the duress of the month. I don't know the last time I did a substantial blog of anything other than song lyrics. I'll just say I've been expending all my creative energy on my other masterpieces.

That, and real life.

I'm going to school again in January, and I'm so psyched! It's a little surreal; I never thought, really, that I would be going where I've decided. On the other hand, once I decided, months ago, that it was where I wanted to go, I knew if it was in the smallest way feasible, I'd be there. I'm stubbornly persistent sometimes. Sometimes it works. Hopefully, this time the major will stick, now that I've decided to abandon all those programs I was in so I would have a day job to support my writing and just chosen instead a program that will facilitate my dreams of being a starving artist. My job is too important for it to be anything other than what I really want to be doing with my life.

In preparation for the program, and because of various contacts I've been making, I'm soaking myself in as much screenwriting literature and advice as possible. It's a little overwhelming sometimes, but I'm learning lots already, and it's just making me more excited for January, when I can actually start taking classes and applying what I know and learning more. I have a couple of script ideas spinning around, but right now I feel guilty working on them.

Because of NaNo.

Right now I'm at about 31,000 words with less than a week to go. With my average speed of 1,000 words a half hour and the fact that I don't' do much of anything now that I'm back in America, it isn't impossible to finish by midnight, Novemeber 30th. I'm having a hard time focusing. I picked a subject that was too serious, and I'm not having nearly as much fun writing it as I did last year. On the other hand, I'm sorta glad I stuck with this subject, because I was going to have to write it sometime, since it was just one of those ideas that kept sticking with me. However, it's so much flater than I thought it would be, and it definitely needs a lot of strucutral and plot work because it's anywhere near the work of literary genius I thought it would be. And it doesn't help that I'd much rather be reading about screenplay writing than writing my NaNo. But I suppose part of NaNo is the procrastination (not like I'm not a master of that already).

Right now, it's time for a game of Boggle with my family. Those three thousand words I need to write? Totally can do it later, no problem...

No comments: