Monday, June 18, 2007

To be honest, I based Grace off myself

Tomorrow I leave for camp. I am excited. Not combustible excited, because I'm sick and tired from a fun weekend, but the happy, pleased, content excited. It's going to be a challenge and a retreat at the same time.

I am so excited by camp. This is where I used to go as a kid. We live up in the mountains by a lake in cabins or platform tents without electricity. We have campfires and cookouts. I'll be in charge of a group of eight or so girls, I'll be teaching/assisting two activities from crafts to drama to kayaking, I'll have a couple hours of free time to go horseback riding or practicing my archery skills, I'll get to lead my cabin girls in Bible study every day, I'll get to hang out with girls my own age dealing with similar stuff, and I get a cool bird name! I am going to be busy busy busy. The thing I'm going to miss most? Listening to Mat Kearney!

And I'll have limited, practically nonexistent internet access.

I got Whatever You Ask up to 13K. Not done. I can work on it some a little on the way up to camp tomorrow, but it's not going to hit 20K tonight like I had hoped. There's still a chance for it. Some times writers have to choose between having time to write and having a life. As that old knight guy said in The Last Crusade, "You have chosen wisely."

I've finally seen some *good* movies lately. Marie Antoinette, Say Anything, and the Departed are all vastly different and very good movies. Watching Say Anything after Four Weddings and a Funeral, I noticed a very crucial element - I fell in love with John Cusack in Say Anything. I didn't feel very many warm and fuzzies for Hugh Grant - and he's beautiful and has a British accent. You think it would be automatic for a writer, to create not only a sympathetic character but one that the audience can love. But I didn't root for Grant like I rooted for Cusack. And that made all the difference.

I'm watching Supernanny. Funny the way it reminds me of au pairing, especially Jo with her British accent. I've decided that with my experiences with children, if I don't get a job in the industry when I go to LA, I sure as heck will be able to get a job in child care.

Have a great summer, everyone!

No comments: