Saturday, September 03, 2005

It's Church Tomorrow

It's church tomorrow, and I'm not going to the church I typically go to. In fact, I'm going to one that I'm not too crazy about (no offense, guys. Just a matter of taste). The thing is, I was sitting having a talk with one of my friends (who does go there) about the kid's ministry that she's co-in charge of or in charge of or something and about how they're having trouble getting people to commit to teaching and helping out with the kids and that they kinda needed a teacher for this Sunday. So I said, Hey, I'll do it. And Krista kinda looked at me for me a minute as if wondering if I was serious, and I confirmed that I was. She needed a break. She needed to get the stress of finding a teacher for this Sunday off her shoulders. Basically, I saw a need and decided to fill it. Even more basically, I started taking up my Christian responsibility. It's kinda sad though, that someone who doesn't even go to the church had to decide to do it. But I think this is a fault in churches all around. Why can't people just start taking Christian responsibility? I'm not saying I'm perfect at it. I'm not. I'm down right bad at it. And this is probably one of the first times that I've kinda consciously made a decision to fill a need. But it's something I need to start doing. And it's something the church needs to start doing.

At least, that's what I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, now for a real reply. I def. think you're onto something. We talked about this in Cont. Amer. Fict. the other day, about Kierkgaard and the leap of faith. Sometimes you have to quit thinking about your faith and just do it. Lay participation in ministry does seem to be dwindling. But let me know how you feel about this in three months? I'm not saying you'll quit, I'm just saying that maybe there's a reason why it's hard to find Sunday School teachers.

Anonymous said...

In all fairness, lots of big churches elect not to have nurseries; they're not exactly mandatory. So saying that nobody's fulfilling their Christian responsibility in a church that does is turning a choice into a cause for blame. Perhaps that church should just forego having a nursery.