Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I am Jack's Dry Sense of Humor

I really need my eyes to get better. No, that's not true. They are better. They haven't been red, painful, or watery since the day it all happened. What I need is to be able to wear my contacts again. I have been inaccurately estimating strangers' attractiveness and failing to recognize friends.

So my friend knows Future Husband's manager (Future Husband being Mat Kearney, c'mon people, keep up). That makes things *so* much easier on me.

I have two classes that are going to rock, one that is mediocre, and two that will be a disappointment, I'm sure (I'll give you a hint: one of the disappointing ones is Spanish, though the fault there is my own). The two classes that are going to rock also intimidate me a lot, but I think we've all learned by now that without a little bit of struggle and stretch there is no progress.

My guy friends have all suddenly discovered my age and consider this to be old. This would not be such a big deal because I *have* recently discovered that if you haven't made it in your career by the time you're 23 you still have a chance. However, as I've been keeping up with all my old friends via Facebook on engagements and weddings, I find myself in a shrinking... equality? with other girls my age. Never fear, I was also reassured today by one said guy friend that there was no way I could possibly find a guy I might think about spending the rest of my life with before I graduate college. Two years, apparently, is just not enough time.

On the other hand, I've been mistaken for someone older than myself twice in the past month. Once was in a class where the girl next to me turned and asked if I was a GSI. The other was in the Metropolitan Museum of Art with H.D. An elderly man approached us and asked me if I was German. When I said no, he told me that I looked remarkably like Assistant Professor Matilda Burgendorf at the University of Munich, or something along those lines. He talked with us for a few minutes and left without trying to sell us anything. Apparently, I just look wise beyond my years.

On the writing front, I have several ideas bouncing around in my head. I hashed out ten pages today on a story I really feel has potential, though the tone of those ten pages is not quite right. I read an amazing piece about the difference between contemporary Rom Coms and ones of the Jimmy Steward, Katherine Hepburn, and Cary Grant era. Hopefully I'll be able to find it again and post the link, because it was really great, and inspired me to try and write a Rom Dram (because I'm not so good with comedy on the written page, though I am truly hysterical in real life) in the tone of Katie and Cary's playful, equal battle of wits. So we'll see how it turns out, but I will be definitely giving it more time and energy to make sure that it comes out better than my last two scripts. (More on my thoughts on my terrible scripts later, because I have been thinking about those too). I actually spent several days just ruminating on this idea, and though everything's not worked out yet, I do feel pretty confident about what overarching themes and plots there will be and what I want to happen in the first half, at least.

The other two scripts I have bouncing around will be built at a slower pace. One is a collaboration piece, so it will take some time working on how to collaborate and the time lag between us. The other is a study of college life, so I will be gradually gathering real life antidotes. It's going to be great, I think, though a little sad and more than a little critical.

Ever buy plastic cutlery for a friend?

No comments: