Sunday, March 22, 2009

I'll be Marie Antionette... only without the sad ending.

Last weekend one of our good friends had a birthday, and while he insisted he was going to buy his birthday cake from a bakery, D. and I protested that that was ridiculous, that we would bake him one. We are quite decent bakers and find any refusal of our baked goods as an affront on our domestic goddess-ness (that is clearly, er, in development).

He was set on Red Velvet. We used this recipe, from Smitten Kitchen, the same website from which my sister made this torte for my birthday which I made for G.'s birthday. It's one of my favourite websites for fancy desserts. While we were making his cake, we realized something about boys.

It's a well known saying that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but when it comes to cake, boys seem to have a very specific kind they like. A friend from high school's favourite was German Chocolate, A. was way too excited about his Red Velvet cake (though ours *did* turn out exceptional), and C. and G. agreed Pineapple Upside Down cake was their choice. D. and I don't have this sort of dedication to one particular cake. Cake is cake, and while I do prefer certain types (mmm, vanilla frosting), all cake is good.

Next on my list of kitchen capers? Just what my friends ask for.

No comments: