Sunday, August 27, 2006

I'm writing the last scene of my screenplay. It's a weird feeling. I've been working on it for two months and all of a sudden, oh, here's the end. The thing is, I can't end it. And it's not because of some weird writer subconcious psycho problem about cutting themselves off of their stories and their characters. It's not a withdrawal thing, because once I finish I'll put it away for about a week or so and then pull it back out to start on the rewrites. It's just that I don't know how it ends. It's the last scene, and I have my two protagonists there, and the question that's been hanging around for the past two months is still hanging in the air - do they end up together? The thing is, the story and I disagree. I want it to end one way, but the story tells me it can't possible end any other way than the opposite of what I want. And I'm pretty adament. I am, after all, the author; I'm supposed to be in charge, and I have a certain point I want to make. But it just doesn't work logically. And it doesn't work with the story. I just haven't settled this question in life, so it's hard for me to settle it in a story. I have my answer, I know how it's supposed to end, but I'm too cynical to let it happen easily.

Maybe I will stop blaming it on my cynicism and blame it instead on writer psychosis.

No comments: