Friday, August 18, 2006

Things I've learned while being in England

I've now been in England three months, halfway through my stay here, and I've learned a lot, and I thought I would generously share my wisdom:


1. Always change money in the airport you depart from.

2. Even though that piece of wood looks immobile and innocent, things get dangerous when you go over it with a lawn mower.

3. Even though your happiness should not depend on other people, other people do affect your happiness.

4. England doesn't live up to its cold damp stereotype.

5. Some of the nicest places are in the middle of nowhere.

6. I can live anywhere on the coast.

7. People are more important than careers.

8. I do not have to have children if I don't want to.

9. I do want to have children.

10. I do not want an au pair.

11. The best places to write are in pubs. Too bad they are also the most intimidating places to walk into alone.

12. Ironing and cooking are a waste of time. They should be done only with company.

13. America has a beautiful culture.

14. It's not so much having a home to go back to, it's having someone to go with you when you're gone.

15. Priceline.com is not as brilliant as it appears.

16. I still spend too much of my time looking forward.

17. Your career is important.

18. Loving people is hard. Sometimes, so is hating them.

19. David Beckham is way too good for Posh Spice.

20. The French play dirty football. French people, however, are splendid.

21. Duvets are a smart idea.

22. Words like "brilliant," "posh," "cheeky," and "cheers" should be used more often.

23. I should never end a story when two people are making each other happy without acknowledging that they will at some time make each other miserable as well.

24. Oasis needs to make a comeback.

25. Last confessions are only for people who plan on dying.

26. Do not, under any circumstances, leave pasta cooking in the kitchen while you yourself are in your bedroom talking to your dad about your ex.

27. I can be content in God's arms with or without the hurt I'm hoping He'll heal.

28. If hospitality is a spiritual art then so is being neat.

29. The only thing more useless than a penny is a two-pence coin.

30. Perfect humility can change your life.

1 comment:

Quotable_keb said...

amy butler, i love your brain...and I miss it very much.
~k~