Thursday, March 27, 2008

Get your giggles out now.

So there's this guy.

"I don't want to be cheesy, you know," was what I told a friend last night. But we have this joke, one we picked up on a leadership conference, when our team leader was talking about how nobody ever says, "Geez, it's so easy to get lost in his dreamy character." Well, now those words are spoken a little more often and not always in joke. And one thing that I appreciate, you know, without getting too cheesy, is that this guy, he really thinks about life. I don't believe enough people really contemplate life. He knows what he's doing and why he's doing it and how his past affects him and what he believes and how what he does affects others and what the most important decisions you're going to make in life are and how you're going to make them. I don't know, I just don't see that too often with people. I mean, we spend all our time doing stuff and living, but how often do we really contemplate life? I'm not going to go all Socratic on you and say an unexamined life isn't worth living. That's a little cynical, buddy. But I think too often we're encouraged to turn our brains off and disengage our critical thinking once we've left the classroom (if it was ever on in there even). We've got one shot at this; isn't it best that we pay attention? It's a mark of maturity that gets lost in the legal drinking age and right to vote, the difference between when society tells us we're adults and when we make ourselves such.

Oh, and it's not just his character, don't worry. He's got one breath-catching smile.

But I don't want to be cheesy.

No comments: