Monday, June 22, 2009

If only I remembered my Sunday School songs

My sister and I like to be nostalgic. We once sat and watched the entire My Little Pony movie via ten YouTube installments. Last night we were talking about Psalty the Singing Songbook and G.T. and the Halo Express, and she passed on to me a link to Stuff Christians Like, a hilarious and insightful blog about Christian trends. Make sure to click on the links because they lead to little write ups about each entry.

Some of these are just hilariously true, like #5 Bootlegged Cookies at VBS, #14 Dating God instead of me, or #196 The secret bathroom at church. I love the secret bathroom at church -- however, since we meet in a public school, the secret bathroom is really mini me sized for all the kindergartens. My dad is a fan of Sermon Series Based off of Popular Blockbusters and is trying to help me figure out how to use creative church marketing to my career's advantage.

However, what I really love about this site is that it's not only funny and honest but challenging as well. Here are a couple of my other favourites (though I feel like making categories of "funny favourites" and "spiritual favourites" is another thing Christians like):

#77 Offering a Safe Approach to Life
#121 Thinking God's Call will be Long and Detailed
#212 Shrinking God
#271 Being Afraid to Use Our Gifts

I'm pretty sure there's nothing more disappointing than small faith. I mean, faith is supposed to be something radical in your life. It's supposed to be growing, it's supposed to be big, it's supposed to be a sort of adventure. Is there anything riskier and more fulfilling than being in a personal relationship with God? I would definitely say no. So personally, I think disappointments in faith are, perhaps, the most difficult disappointments to deal with.

Summertime is always sort of this lull in my faith, and I've been in one of those lulls. I think there are a lot of reasons, but I think one of the main reasons is that I've sort of forgotten what God is like. Somewhere in the past two months, I've made Him small and boring. And then I've gotten frustrated about it! About something I did, about limitations I've created. But God hasn't gotten any smaller. Only my faith has. And that's why I've been disappointed. Who would be satisfied with Amy-sized faith when God-sized faith is waiting? And God is really cool, you know, because He used a satirical funny blog to remind me that all the things I'm missing from my faith are exactly where I left them, with Him.

Now I'm tempted to look back and see how many "Stuff Christians Like" techniques I employed in that post. :)

No comments: