Sunday, May 16, 2010

At the Theatre


About a month ago I saw a couple of movies that I was pretty excited about, Date Night and the Joneses. Mostly because they were not 1. remakes, 2. sequels, or 3. franchise spinoffs. I meant to blog about them weeks ago, but - obviously - I did not. However, if they're playing near a theatre near you still, I'd recommend going to see them. The Joneses especially. I hadn't heard about it before we went to see it, but it's an interesting dramedy about consumer culture. And David Duchovny's in it.


On the other hand, over the past two weeks, I've seen two major summer tentpoles. I went to see Iron Man 2 last week with my brothers, and Firefighter Friend and I went to see Robin Hood this past Friday. So, 1. a sequel and 2. a franchise.


Iron Man 2 was awesome. I haven't heard a negative thing about it from anyone else either. I love the characters. And Scott Myers has linked to an interview with screenwriter Justin Theroux here.


I was probably more excited about seeing Robin Hood than I was about Iron Man 2. But you guys didn't see that coming, right?

Any reason...

And it was good, but it was way different than I thought it was going to be. I didn't realize how much of the story they were rewriting or that they were starting their story before Robin became an outlaw. I don't want to say I was disappointed, because it was a great movie and I would recommend it and will definitely see it again myself at some point, but it didn't really match my expectations. I don't want to say more because I don't want to spoil anyone else's expectations. Loved Crowe and Blanchett though, more than I expected I would. Ok, I'll stop.


However, it's nice to be able to recommend the last four movies I've seen in theatre. That could be because I've stopped letting people drag me to movies like Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2.

No comments: