Sunday, July 04, 2004

Summer Reading, I

Summer is when I finally get some time to read what I want to read, and I started off this summer with Dune by Frank Herbert, a sci-fi book that practically started a cult following. Let me tell you, it wasn't the easiest book to get into. It's long, and I don't have the best reading habits when it comes to long books, but I managed to get all the way through (I was so determined not to quit). At first, I had a very hard time understand why it has such a following. It was interesting, yes, but to me, it wasn't engaging enough for such a fan base. However, between watching the Sci-fi channel's miniseries Children of Dune and finishing the book, I came to understand the attachment more. It truly is a great story, an epic, and a tragic family history. I think that's what I really came to connect with, the fate of the Atriedes family, how despite their best efforts, they ended up plunged in betrayl and death and tragedy. Now the whole Dune series has been slotted into my summer reading. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a sci-fi/fantasy epic.

No comments: