Thursday, January 12, 2006

Back in the Game

After the dull and relaxing boriness of break, it's nice to be back at school and, well, doing things. In the next week or so, the second issue of the Anderson Underground goes live, and I get everything uploaded and submitted for my free copy of my NaNo novel from LuLu. Both are very exciting and getting ready for that will keep me busy. I just submitted two columns to the Sword Review, which'll be my first ones in a while, probably since the end of summer. I'm working my way back into my responsibilites there. I took a haitus of sorts last semester when things got to busy, but now I'm going to re-establish myself and start pulling my weight again.

As for a year long writing plan, I've decided on making my own. I'm writing 300 words a day, even if they're crappy stream of conscious about how blocked I am and how frustrated I am - which is most of what it's been so far. I've broken up the year into trimesters, and each trimester I devote one month to a novel, one to a screenplay or stage play, and two to two short stories. This month is supposed to be short stories, but I've just started on my first a couple of days ago. I just haven't had any ideas that I've loved - really, I haven't had many ideas that are more than a picture in my mind, waiting for some sort of development that I'm clueless about how to pursue. But if this plan works, by the end of the year I will have 3 novels, 3 scripts, and 12 short stories, all crappy first drafts that I can spend the next year re working and editing. Because, unlike NaNo, these are all supposed to be written as if I plan on publishing them someday.

So that's my weekly goals and my year goals. As for my long long term goals, I've decided that I want to be an active member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America before I graduate from college. Which means I have to sell three short stories to pro markets.

I do love a good challenge.

No comments: