Friday, June 06, 2008

I walked 7.5 miles today.

Just thought someone should know. The only other time I've walked that much was when I was stuck in the nether reaches of Norfolk county in England on a Sunday without public transportation (surprise!) and had 9 miles to go still until I got to my hostel.

I miss acting. Friend A. teases me because one time I made a very pretentious remark about how I am a "trained actress." Which isn't false. I spent two years studying theatre at my old university, and I wasn't a bad actress. I had terrible problems with my diction and annunciation, though, and that stabbed me in the foot.

How come actors can become writers and directors, but writers and directors can't become actors? There's a lot of advice about how writers and directors should take acting classes to understand what helps actors connect with stories, which I think is a great idea. I think the acting classes I took help me know when I write, sometimes when I direct. But I would love to put those acting classes to actual acting use. How does that look, though, when a writer wants to act in their script? I get such audition anxiety - it's been so long since I've acted - I'm so busy with the production side of filmmaking - will I ever have an opportunity to act outside of self casting? How much will my crew snicker if I try to act in something I've written or am directing or am producing?

Basically I want to be Zach Braff.

Have you ever been away for a few days, and when you come back, you're expecting the world to have shifted on its axis? I don't know what it is about being away, just being a little more out of touch than normal, especially when the days have been earth shattering for me, to come back thinking that I'll find out some revelation in a friend's life. The funny thing is, nothing shocking ever does happen. What if I started expecting...nothing?

No comments: