Monday, August 09, 2010

Double Take.

Ok, so maybe my friend destroying my will to work on my rom com wasn't so bad after all.

So, I don't know if you can tell by my sidebar, but I juggle a lot of projects at once. Really, you can only effectively work on one or two projects at a time, but it's nice to have options. So when my rom com fell from grace, I picked up a different project because I may be unemployed but that only gives me a reason to be productive! (Sometimes I have to talk myself into being productive, if you hadn't noticed.)

I picked up Keys to the Garden (aka Even Angels Swear, my new favourite title for it) which I was in the middle of my third draft of before I abandoned it to procrastinate on packing. This draft is a massive rewrite, and it was just getting to be sort of a mess. I picked it up again, because even though it's a big budget heavily religious supernatural action movie that will never be viable as a sellable spec, I think it has the most potential of all my scripts to be a good story.

That was probably four days ago. I am sailing through this bad boy. Is that because I was soon into the third act, which is pretty solid and requires mostly just cutting and pasting? Maybe. But soon this draft is going to be DONE, and I can print it out, tear it up, and start all over again.

And I think Draft #4 might be the one. I think after that I'll be able to start showing it to people. And after i do ANOTHER draft based on their notes, I might even ask Big A List Screenwriter if he'll read it.

And then I'll have to work on something else because, like I said, it's at best a writing sample. Or fuel when I no longer can afford heat in the Michigan winter. (Just kidding, parents.)

Man, I can't wait until I can do just this for a living.

No comments: