Monday, June 05, 2006

Finding Neverland

Mary Ansell Barrie: I was hopelessly naive when I married you. I imagined that brilliant people disappeared to some secret place where good ideas floated around like leaves in autumn, and I hoped at least once you would take me there with you.
J.M. Barrie: There is no such place.
Mary Ansell Barrie: Yes there is: Neverland.


The other day I was thinking about a friend, and this quote popped into my head. There is something about this quote that reverberates in our relationship; one of us is the genius, and the other one is tagging along. I started to think about all my important friendships in this sort of light. In my most important relationships, am I the genius or am I the devotee? Or are we equals?


J.M. Barrie: ...and that was the end of the boy James. I used to say to myself he'd gone to Neverland.
Sylvia Llewelyn Davies: Where?
J.M. Barrie: Neverland. It's a wonderful place... I've not spoken about this before to anyone- ever.
Sylvia Llewelyn Davies: What's it like, Neverland?
J.M. Barrie: One day I'll take you there.

No comments: