Monday, June 14, 2010

Diners, Dentists, and Dinner Parties

I got heckled outside my church for wearing my England jersey. Hey, I cheered for the US during the game Saturday. They're just both favourites. And I was living in England during the last world cup. Difficult to get an American jersey over there.

Firefighter Friend and I went to the diner last night. I figure I should probably get my fill of diners here in Jersey before I move back to Michigan where there's like one. In the whole state. I was talking to him about moving and I said something about being there for probably about two years, and he got this expression on his face.

"What?" I asked.

"You'll be back in six months," he answered.

FF is always a little bit snarky but still. What if I don't find a job? What if I run out of money? What if I lose my motivation and do nothing but watch movies and bake all day long (I'd be a great housewife for my roommates)? What happens if six months in I'm not making any progress?

I have plans (well, I have plans of plans) for the future, like at what point I'm going to throw in the towel, which career I would switch to if I had to, when I'm going to move to England. But I don't want that (except for the last one. I am going to move to England).

I realize that I haven't been writing about screenwriting a lot recently. And I've been procrastinating on a post about that for some time. It's because I haven't been writing a lot recently. But soon I'll have lots to say (or not say) about trying to find a job in the film industry, albeit if it is in Michigan.

And I think that's a little bit scary because, when it comes to writing, you do all this work on your own for years and years and some day maybe it all starts to work together, either in small spurts or sudden success. But when it comes to trying to find a crew job - it's not something that I'm going to be plugging away at in solitude. It's going to involve a lot of daily effort and hard work and a lot of risk. Which means the potential for a lot of failure.

Which means I'll have a lot of hilariously disastrous posts in the near future.

No comments: