Wednesday, July 19, 2006

So I have a screenplay I've been working on, which for now I'll ungraciously dub "The 4:05" just so I can stop referring to it as the screenplay that I actually like. This story has a shape, since I'm a visual person. It's like a plait, and I was stuck there for a little while because I had a couple of unknown plot lines. Well you can't braid unless you have all the strands, and I was having a hard time writing without all my story. I worked on it every day this weekend - pubs are amazing places to write in - and I finally got ahold of those elusive plot lines. It was amazing. I think that's one of the most beautiful moments in writing, when it all falls into place and you're like "Ah ha! This is what the story's about, this is what the characters want to say, and this is how it's going to happen."

Anyway, writing The 4:05 has been relatively easy, once I will myself sit down to it. I wrote some tonight, unexpectedly. I typically don't like writing in the place I live, especially my room, but I had nothing else to do and I really need to work on this if I want to make a career out of it. So I sat down to write and I was thinking of a scene I wanted to do, when I realized that I had left off in the middle of another scene. And my thoughts on the written scene were "Oh. I don't know if I like this or not. I'm not sure it really fits with the whole story." Often, this would put me at sort of an impasse. But then I thought, "Hey, it's ok. This is the first draft, where I just get the story out. I'll just cut this scene later." So I finished writing it and went on with the other scene I had planned. It's a nice feeling, trampling on the internal editor. And I get twice the writing done. On a story I like.

I did a little college research today. One of the schools really does have a nice program, and I really like the school itself. I'm just afraid to get too excited for it, in case God wants me somewhere else. I have this skewed perception (I hope it's skewed), that God takes away what you want, all the time, every single time. Which sometimes I think He really does, to bring you closer to Him. But sometimes I think He wants you to be happy too. Um, I don't really know. But then again, I don't think it really matters too much either...

No comments: