Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Some Backup

I'm trying to work out summer plans. It's a little bit stressful. I'm thinking about taking some bigger risks. Sometimes I don't know who I can talk these things through with. I need someone objective... but who knows me incredibly well.

Having someone to bounce ideas off is important. I've been stuck on a character issue for my rom com idea, so I've been expounding to anyone who'll listen, family, friends, former classmates. Writing is solitary. You do it alone. Even if you have a writing partner, there's some point where you are the one putting the words down. However, you also have to be comfortable enough with your ideas to take them to the masses early when you have a problem. Even though I no longer have a screenwriting class every week or a writer's group I go to, I have a pretty large screenwriting support group just an email away. One of my friends from LA and I chatted on the phone about the problem the other day. My dad has some great ideas. Even if I don't always agree with them, there are always good points raised. I get to know my characters more, and I get closer to my story. I know some people have a hard time with this (I do sometimes), but it's ok to ask for help. Jane Espenson agrees.

No comments: